2. Personal Data 2.1 His Life
Speakage: Riva Lava :: Sound engineer: Nikos Myrtou
2.1 His Life
- 1935 Born in Richea, Lakonia, Greece
- 1958 Graduated the University of Athens, History & Archaeology Department
- 1969 Graduated the Federal Polytechnic School of Zürich, Architecture
- 1971 Federal Polytechnic School of Zurich, PhD in Architecture
Essay "My Life", Piraeus High School [304.94 KB]
PROFESSIONAL & ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
- 1968-1972 Lecturer at the Federal Polytechnic School of Zürich
- 1972 - 1991 Professor at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Department of Architecture
- 1992-2003 Professor at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Faculty of Communication and Mass Media
- 2003 Member of the Academy of Athens
- 1972 – 1974 Architect of the Church of Saint Paul at the Orthodox Centre of the Ecumenical Patriarchate at Chambésy, Genève, Switzerland
- Since 1973 Member of the International & Greek Department of ICOMOS/UNESCO
- 1976-1978 President of the Committee for the Protection of Ano Polis in Thessaloniki
- 1977 President of the Committee for the Protection of the Old Town of Xanthi
- 1982-1987 Member of the Board / Center for Preservation of the Heritage of the Holy Mount Athos
- 1982-1989 Architect in charge of the works of restoration of “Villa Kapantzi” in Thessaloniki, presently housing the Gallery of the National Bank of Greece.
- 1984-1985 President of the Ethnological-Folklore Museum of Macedonia, Northern Greece.
- 1984-1988 President of the Center for Byzantine Research/University of Thessaloniki
- 1984-1999 Member of the Committee for the Conservation of the Acropolis Monuments (CCMA)
- Since 1984 Surrogate member of the Central Archaeological Council / Greek Ministry of Culture.
- Since 1985 Expert of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem and member of the International Committee of Experts for the works at the Holy Church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem. Excavation of the Shrine of the Calvary.
- 1993-2006 Member of the Technical Council of the Academy of Athens
- 2000-2006 Member of the Committee of the Southern Slope of Acropolis of the Greek Ministry of Culture.
- 2000-2005 Member of the Central Council of Modern Monuments of the Greek Ministry of Culture.
- 2001-2006 Member of the Evaluation Committee of the Architectural Competition for the Church of Archbishop of Tirana (Albania)
Speech at the Old University [148.7 KB]
RESEARCH – PUBLICATIONS
- Author of books and articles in Greek and international journals about History of Architecture and Art, Town-Planning and the Protection of Cultural Heritage.
- He participated in radio and tv programs and was author of articles in newspapers regarding the protection of cultural heritage.
- Member of Scientific Societies in Greece and abroad.
- Corresponding member of the German Archaeological Institute, Berlin.
PARTICIPATION IN CULTURAL PROGRAMS AND ACTIVITIES
- Scientific expert on the research program of the Center for Byzantine Research (University of Thessaloniki) regarding the Corpus of Monuments of Thessaloniki.
- Scientific expert on the research program of the University of Thessaloniki, concerning the Archives of Monuments of the Central Macedonia and Holy Mount regions.
- Scientific advisor and national representative of the programs for the Cultural Heritage of the European Committee
- Expert for the works of conservation and rehabilitation of the Greek-Orthodox Monuments and Shrines of Palestine. Archaeologist in charge of the excavation of the Holy Shrine of “Kathisma” of the Virgin Mary, Jerusalem.